|CANADA||1970||Hydro-Québec’s Research Institute IREQ – Testing Laboratories ISO-17025|
|CANADA||1980||Powertech Labs Inc.|
|CHINA||1958||Xi’an High Voltage Apparatus Research Institute Co., Ltd (XIHARI)|
|CROATIA||1955||Laboratory Center of Koncar Electrical Engineering Institute|
|CZECH REPUBLIC||1955||EGU – HV Laboratory a.s.|
|FRANCE||1970||EDF Lab – Les Renardières|
|GERMANY||1935||PSW – Siemens Testing Laboratories Berlin|
|GERMANY||N/A||ABB and PEHLA Laboratories|
|HUNGARY||1962||VEIKI – VNL Electric Large Laboratories Ltd.|
|INDIA||1970||Central Power Research Institute, India|
|ITALY||N/A||Grid Solutions S.p.A. CEME HV Lab.|
|MEXICO||1986||Laboratorio de Pruebas de Equipos y Materiales (LAPEM) – CFE|
|NETHERLANDS||1928||DNV GL – KEMA Laboratories|
|ROMANIA||1974||ICMET Craiova – National Institute For Research, Development And Testing In Electrical Engineering|
|SOUTH KOREA||1976||KERI High Power & High Voltage Laboratories|
|SPAIN||1949||LCOE – FFII. Laboratorio Central Oficial de Electrotecnia|
|SPAIN||1965||Tecnalia Electrical Labs|
|SPAIN||1985||Ormazabal Corporate Technology|
|SWITZERLAND||1935||ABB Switzerland Ltd. High Power & High Voltage Laboratories|
|UNITED KINGDOM||2011||High Voltage and Materials Laboratory|
What is full form of CPRI? What kind of functions is it involved in?
Central Power Research Institute (CPRI) is the power house of the Indian electrical industry. Set up in 1960 by the Government of India, it functions as a centre for applied research in electrical power engineering assisting the electrical industry in product development and quality assurance. CPRI also serves as an independent authority for testing and certification of power equipment
Where are various laboratories of CPRI situated across India?
- CENTRAL POWER RESEARCH INSTITUTE, BANGALORE
- THERMAL RESEARCH CENTRE, NAGPUR
- UHV RESEARCH LABORATORY, HYDERABAD
- SWITCHGEAR TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT STATION, GOVINDPURA, BHOPAL
Where the regional laboratories of CPRI, Bengaluru situated?
- REGIONAL TESTING LABORATORY, NOIDA
- REGIONAL TESTING LABORATORY, KOLKATA
- REGIONAL TESTING LABORATORY, GUWAHATI
Give names of any 5 divisions/laboratories at CPRI, Bengaluru.
- DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS DIVISION
- ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
- HIGH VOLTAGE DIVISION
- INSTRUMENTATION DIVISION
- DIELECTRIC MATERIALS DIVISION
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND RENEWABLE ENERGY DIVISION
Which are the laboratories functioning under High Voltage Division at CPRI, Bengaluru?
- High Voltage Laboratory
- Pollution Laboratory
- Impulse Current Laboratory
List out any 5 equipments with their ratings available at High Voltage Laboratory of CPRI, Bengaluru.
- Impulse voltage generator of 3 million volts. 150 kJ.
- Power frequency Cascade Transformers setup of 1800 kV (i.e. 3 nos. of 600 kV).
- Power frequency Transformers of 50 kV 30 mA and 100 kV 100mA single phase, 150 kV, 500 mA.
- 600 kV AC/RIV free coupling capacitor and 500 kV AC/RIV free coupling capacitor.
- One meter dia sphere gap of 1 MV (Impulse and Power frequency voltages).
Name any 5 tests that can be performed at High Voltage Laboratory of CPRI, Bengaluru.
- Lightning impulse voltage tests up to 2,200 kV (Peak) level.
- Chopped impulse voltage tests up to 1200kV (Peak) level.
- Switching Impulse voltage Dry and Wet Tests up to 1500 kV (Peak) level.
- Power frequency voltage Dry and Wet tests up to 1,440 kV (rms) level.
- RIV and corona tests on equipment rated up to 500 kV.
What kind of tests are performed at pollution laboratory of CPRI, Bengaluru?
This Laboratory can undertake the following tests as per National and International Standards:
- Pollution test on insulators by salt for solid layer method up to 400 kV AC and 150 kV DC.
- SF6 Puncture withstand test facility for DC insulators.
- Thermal runaway tests on insulators.
- Ion migration test on DC insulators.
- Salt for tests on cable terminations.
- Tracking and erosion tests on polymeric insulators as per IEC 61109 and IEC 62217-2012-1000 hours.
- Hydrophobicity recovery test on polymeric insulators.
- Pollution tests on single unit and two unit zinc oxide lightning arresters as per IEC-60099-4-2004/ANSI up to and including 400kV.
- Track wheel test on composite insulators as per IEC/TR 62730-2012
What kind of tests can be carried out with impulse current generator at CPRI, Bengaluru?
- All type tests on Zno arrester blocks up to 6 kV As per National and International Standards.
- Residual voltage, Reference Voltage, Power loss, leakage current measurements on complete assembled arrester.
Briefly give details about UHV research laboratory, Hyderabad.
Ultra High Voltage (UHV) Research Laboratory was commissioned in 1993 at Hyderabad. The objectives of the Laboratory is to provide design data valid for the country’s particular climatic, environmental and operating conditions, for transmission system above 400 kV and to provide necessary facilities in the development and testing of UHV equipment.
- Cascaded transformer 2 X 800 kV (total rating is 1600 kV, 9600 kVA) to carry out, Dielectric tests under dry & wet conditions test and also Pollution test.
- 5 MV, 500 kJ, 25 stages, outdoor Impulse Generator to carryout lightning and switching impulse voltage test on electrical equipment.
List out available impulse, AC and DC generators in CPRI with their ratings.
1.High Power Laboratory
- Short Circuit Generator Rating : The 14 kV, 3 phase, 3000/3600 rpm 50/60 Hz Generator
2.Short Circuit Laboratory
- SC generator-1 Rating : 50 MVA 12 kV 50 Hz 3-phase machine coupled to a 3.3 kV, 750 kW slip-ring induction motor.
- SC generator-2 Rating : 50 MVA 50Hz/60Hz capacity driven by a 1350kW 690V induction motor
3.High Voltage Division
- Impulse voltage generator of 3 million volts. 150 kJ
- Impulse Current Generator of rating 100 kV, 150 kJ.
4.Diagnostics, Cables & Capacitors Division
- 500 kV, 15kJ Impulse voltage generator
- Impulse generator of rating: 500 kV 15 KJ for HV capacitors
- Impulse generator of rating 18 kV, 250 Joules for LV Capacitors
5.UHV Research Laboratory, Hyderabad
- impulse generator rating is 5 MV, and 500 kJ with 25 stages and a height of 23 m.
6.Switchgear Testing & Development Station, Govindpura, Bhopal
- 2 * 1500MVA short circuit alternators @12kV
7.Regional Testing Laboratory, Noida
- Impulse Voltage generator,1000kV,100kJ
What is the full form of NHPTL? Which are the organizations who have jointly set up this laboratory?
National High Power Test Laboratory Pvt. Ltd. is a Joint Venture Company of NTPC( National Thermal Power Corporation Limited ), NHPC( National Hydroelectric Power Corporation ), POWERGRID, DVC( Damodar Valley Corporation ) & CPRI( Central Power Research Institute ).
What is the objective of establishing NHPTL?
The objective of the Company is to establish a state-of-the-art on-line High Power Short Circuit Test Facility which will be fully independent professionally managed to stand alone testing facilities in India to provide the full range of Short Circuit testing for the electrical equipment manufacturing industry and power supply utilities in conformance to Indian and International Standards. This proposed laboratory will be extremely beneficial for the Indian power sector and manufacturers of high power electrical equipment of India and neighboring countries.
Where is the site of NHPTL situated?
765/400/220 kV Substation,8th kM Milestone, Khimlasa Road, Bina, Distt. Sagar, M.P.
What are the test facilities to be available at NHPTL?
- High Voltage Transformer Testing (HVTR) Lab to test the large power transformers of 132kV, 220 kV, 400 kV & 765 kV, class.
- Medium Voltage Transformer Testing (MVTR Lab) lab to test the transformers of 11kV to 66 kV Class.
- short circuit testing of Switchgears (Circuit Breakers) up to 550kV, 63 kA for Short-Circuits duties with synthetic methods
- Testing of high current with stand capability of electrical equipment such as LV Bus Bar, LV Contacts, LV breakers, LV Dis-connectors, LV switchgear, Bushings, CT, up to 400 kA rms with 1100 kA peak.